Thursday, May 27, 2010

Graduation and beyond

First things first. I graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science with a minor in Photography on May 14, 2010.

The entire day is a blur. I remember I couldn't sleep well the night before and I woke up super early on graduation day to get ready. I got dressed and met my parents outside of my apartment. They got some breakfast and I ran to the gym to get my seating placement and then went back to them for pictures.

I met up with one of my very close friends and we found our seats. It was so surreal.

Graduation ceremony number 1. It started at 12:30pm and ended at around 1:20pm. So many graduates and their parents and the faculty. The speaker was talking about modern day slavery and the student speaker, I'm convinced, wants to be the next Obama. The ceremony ended and we had refreshments and pictures at the multi-million dollar Information Commons. Time for lunch!

We headed up to Noodles and Company in Evanston and then to Argo Tea and back to the campus for round 2. The next ceremony started at 7:00pm and ended around 7:45pm. This ceremony was so much more fun because it was a smaller school within the university and the professors know the students by name. Back to that multi-million dollar building for more refreshments and pictures with professors and friends. Then it was time for dinner at Grand Lux Cafe. It's like the Cheesecake Factory but a bit cheaper. By the time all was said and done, it was midnight by the time I got back and I was finally able to go to sleep.

After two whirlwind days of packing, my family and I started the long road home from Chicago to San Antonio, Texas where I have started my post-grad journey.
I have been back in Texas for a week and a half now. I have no job and no prospects, but, I must say, having all of this free time is a gift that I will be thankful for having once I start my career.

I'll be using this blog to discuss the trials and tribulations of being post grad in the worst economy since the Great Depression trying to go into a field (journalism) that has faced massive cut backs during the past few days. So, join me as I find new passions, continue to follow others, and try to find a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment